How to apply
Visiting students are eligible to apply for a maximum of three months of elective clerkships. Aplicants must present a letter from the Associate Dean or designate School Oficial, verifying the following:
- The student must be in good academic standing and currently enrolled in the M.D. or D.O. degree program at a medical school.
- It is not a requirement to speak Spanish. Students can receive Spanish lessons through any Language Center at their own expense for 2 weeks in La Antigua, Guatemala before the clerkship starts. Information provided as a courtesy upon request.
- It Is preferred if student has completed all required core clerships to apply, including Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstectric/Gynocology and Pediatrics; but is not a requirement.
The student must also provide:
1. Non-refundable application fee of $150 per month will be charged once your application form is received by our office and is complete. Once your data is entered into the University system by our office, you will receive an email from the University Cashier's office with instructions on how to pay your $150 bill per month. Please do not send any checks or money to our office.
2. Proof of required immunizations:
- Tuberculin status is particularly important since this country is endemic for Tuberculosis, and there is a high probability of seeing patients with tuberculosis.
- Persons with a history of a negative PPD must provide documentation of a PPD test within the past 6 months.
- Persons with a history of a positive PPD must provide documentation of a recent chest x-ray and a review of symptoms within the past 6 months. If chest x-ray is abnormal, clinician clearance must be provided, before staring the clinical clerkship.
- Td booster within the last 10 years.
- Positive measles, rubella and mumps titers or immunizations.
- Positive Varicella (Chicken pox) titer or Varicella vaccine given 4 to 8 weeks apart.
- Hepatitis B vaccination, plus documentation of series of three doses.
3. The student must be covered with personal health insurance, and must provide proof of it, to be eligible.